Monday, May 31, 2010

vacation, had to get away

there's an 80s song to fit every occasion. song of the day: 'vacation' by the go-go's
i totally meant to have this post up a long time ago, but well it didn't happen. better late than never i always say! so, we got back from louisiana yesterday at about 8pm. it was a super fun trip. i was born in lake charles and i still have some family there. it's always good to visit with them and see all the places i frequented as a kid.

lc10
this is me and my grandma, or mawmaw as i call her. she is my mom's mom and my only living grandparent. she looks pretty stinkin' good for 85, no?
lc10
ah, tabasco! good stuffs. we drove about two hours to spend the day at avery island and boy was it worth it! we got to tour the factory and see a video on how they make the hot sauce. then we had lunch and bought some habanero sauce and sample some jalepeno ice cream. nom nom.
lc10
here we are at the jungle gardens on avery island right by the tabasco plant. see the baby alligators? cute.
lc10
me and my mom. she's an amazing lady, holding her stolen moss :)
lc10
my little boy making his funny face.
lc10
lc10
inside this building is a buddha that dates from 1100! crazy old, huh? this area of the garden was definitely the prettiest.
lc10
lc10
lc10
we went down to the coast on saturday. this is me and my dad at holly beach. a few years ago, it was rated the 2nd worst beach in the country. in fact, there is a sign at the entrance to the beach stating that swimming is not advised. there were loads of people in that water! you can drive right onto the sand and a truck full of girls got stuck right behind us. another truck came to pull them out and then it got stuck. the girl driving the first truck got out and started pounding a beer. this place is classy. maybe more like 'klassy.'
lc10
lc10
lc10
me and my man!
lc10
while down at the coast, we came upon a place selling fresh jumbo shrimp. we went up the road, bought a couple of ice chests and filled them up with shrimp! don't they look tasty? well, this is when we were deheading them. about four pounds of these babies are sitting in my freezer waiting to be enjoyed.
so there you have it, a little taste of what i did on my southern vacation.

6 comments:

Kimberellie said...

Ooo, thanks for taking me on vacation! Love the photos. Thus I will forgive you for the pic of the nasty nasty shrimp heads (love shrimp, hate looking at them).

Oh, and your husband is super cute. You two are just adorable in that one pic! That beach looks lovely. What is wrong with it??

Oh, and your son is also super cute in that pic!!!!

Oh, and I LOVE your outfit (the one with you and your dad).

:-D!!

Lexie said...

that picture of you and your man is just adorable .. not to mention all the glimpses of the little man! looks like you had a blast!

Carrie said...

The pictures with your family are so adorable! And your pic of the shrimp makes me a little homesick for coastal NC. I'm getting all nostalgic thinking of buying fresh seafood in Styrofoam ice chests out of someone's truck bed on the side of the road. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time, I'm so glad! Your post was totally cracking me up!! Sounds like where I grew up (but minus the beach part). The women in your family are beautiful, now I know where you get it :) Welcome back, I missed you!!

Anonymous said...

aw...your little man is so cute! (and so is your big man. wink wink) it looks like you had so much fun! i'm glad you had a chance to get away.

ps. is that gray vneck you're wearing from american apparel? if so, i have it too. in fact, i've pretty much seen it on every blogger from here to the back roads of south carolina. (i just made that last part up.) i think you get what i'm saying.

you're darling, amanda. :)

megannielsen said...

Looks like you had a great time!! You've really got me missing the beach & bbq's