Tuesday, June 29, 2010

we belong together

etsy28
etsy28
song of the day: 'circle in the sand' by belinda carlisle
here are few new things in the shop today! don't you think that you and one of these gems 'belong together'? eh, eh?
well, i thought i'd talk a bit more about my shop. one thing that i've been asked about a lot is whether or not i had to take out a small business loan. and no i did not. see, i gots me a sugar-daddy who gives me anything i want. ha! no i'm just kidding, but matt does have a good job with a yearly bonus that helps to pay my expenses. plus, it took about a year for the building to be renovated so i used that time to build my inventory little by little. and i have like the best deal ever on rent. really, i mean, everything fell into place for me to open my own store and i do realize that i'm way more fortunate than most. my first day, i was so nervous about whether or not people would come, if i had everything i needed, if i knew how to use the cash register and all those silly things. yeah, my store didn't look anything like it does now. it had to grow as i had more money to throw at it and as i saw what people really wanted to buy. it's definitely been a learning experience and there's been a lot of trial and error. for sure, owning your own business is stressful, especially dealing with things like taxes, permits, and licenses, but it's worth it. and i did it the other way around, started my brick and mortar before my etsy store, so i think all of you who already have an etsy and are dealing with the business side of things will have a much easier transition. i think the biggest thing is to have a vision and to stick to it. everyone will have ideas and advice to give and a lot of it will be useful. but if it doesn't go along with what you see in your dreams, then don't do it. you have to be able to walk in everyday and be so excited and proud of what you have. that's way more important than a business plan or profit margins.
etsy28
etsy28
etsy28
etsy28

11 comments:

Elle Sees said...

fierce poses,
fierce hair!!

The Semi Sweet said...

Lovely look. I'm glad it's cool enough there that you can still wear pants if you need to.

And great post about opening your store.

Avalonne Hall said...

Love your new blog changes!!! I love the checkered blazer with the denim skirt, very retro!

Fashion By He said...

great dress, love the floral for summer, great style

want to link exchange??

come follow the first ever fashion blog from a Guys POV, let He know what you think

fashionbyhe.blogspot.com

Swalvs said...

Thanks for telling these about your shop! Oh and is that a romper or a dress that you're wearing? Both ways, I loved it a lot and it looks wonderful on you!

Britta said...

I'm really enjoying these posts about your store. They're informative, interesting, and not something you see on a lot of other blogs. Thanks for sharing!

Ana said...

That belt is amazing! Oh you temptress... I can't really buy anything until after mid-July though. Ahhh!

Anonymous said...

Holy hotpants!! You need to wear those more often!! Or is it actually too hot for them :) You had that wonderful item sold so fast, I read your post earlier in the day and it was already accounted for !!

Second Skin said...

There are so many things I want to talk to you about this whole store thing. Paige told me you texted her at some point? I want your number. Can you email it to me? Are we tight like that?

Kimberellie said...

I am seriously in love with your store. It makes me so happy that you have your dream like that! And yes, it is so nice to have a husband who can help! My husband works and I stay home and play with my son all day, and I know I am so fortunate to be able to do that!! We are LUCKY girls!

Oh, and I especially love that last look. Fierce.

Anthea said...

Once again, the posts about your store are very inspiring. I look up to you for going for your dream.