Tuesday, March 8, 2011

laissez les bons temps rouler

3/5
happy mardi gras!! i don't know if i've ever said this before, but i am a cajun girl. i was born in lake charles, louisiana. growing up, we didn't have a 'spring break.' we got out of school for mardi gras! every city in louisiana has a huge celebration on fat tuesday, not just new orleans. we had a big parade in downtown and everyone had parties with king cake. it really is a fun time. my grandma still saves the beads and masks and hats from the parties she attends to give all the kids.
so i encourage you to take the time to celebrate today, possibly enjoying a drink or two, because you don't know what you'll have to give up tomorrow :)
3/5
3/5
3/5
3/5
3/5
3/5
details:
dress-ecote via ebay
leggings-walmart
shirt-old navy from yearssssssss ago
shawl-thrifted
boots-vintage via ebay

13 comments:

tara-lynn / good night, day said...

gorgeous shawl

caitlin said...

that's such a pretty shawl! i would love to go down south and visit, especially around this time of year. there is just such a different spirit down there and i think it seems like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

i am pretty sure you are my favorite dresser, ever.

Think Twice Style said...

I love that dress! The print is so pretty! I didn't know you were from Lake Charles, I'm from Baton Rouge! Not quite neighbors, but close enough!

archives vintage said...

My family is from LA, too! :) Made their way from Sicily to New Orleans in the early 1900's, and eventually part of the fam came up here to Chicago in the 20's. But I still have cousins in LA! My great-grandma would visit NOLA every year for Mardi Gras! My bff lives down there now (and works on the parades) and I've never been during MG.....I think next year it's gonna happen. :)

C said...

I've never been to New Orleans, or Louisiana, but I'm dying to go someday. I need to think up something fun to do tonight! :)

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

Your eyes look so beautiful in the first shot and I adore the skirt.

Melanie said...

I love the layering here.
My son and I will have our own little mardi gras celebration tonight involving red champagne for me and apple juice for him, and a Polish pastry called paczki (today is also called Paczki Day)!

Unknown said...

crochet tops, sweaters or shawls are just so comfy to wear all the time!


Bren-
B So Chic!
http://www.bsochic.blogspot.com

yelizabeta said...

i love this outfit! period.

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

I've been reading your blog a while but just realized you're based in Arkansas-- I'm currently in Chicago but grew up in Fayetteville. It's good to see more vintage lovers blogger from my home state!

Anonymous said...

simply beautiful.

Summer Athena said...

i love your style. your blog and you are from Lake Charles!? i am from Morgan City/New Orleans but husband and I lived in Lake Chuck for 1 year! i worked at the Imperial Calcasieu Museum!