Friday, November 5, 2010

soon the bells will start

11-5
song of the day: 'it's beginning to look a lot like christmas'
i am so happy that it's friday. even though i'll be at my shop all weekend, there's just something about friday that washes me with relief. maybe i'll get to sleep in a little bit! here's hoping anyway.
we're having our holiday open house on sunday afternoon. i can't believe it's that time of year again! the city has already strung up the lights across broadway and it really is beginning to look a lot like christmas. but i am excited to wear this crazy sequined sweater on sunday that i bought at the thrift. i've been holding on to it for a couple months waiting ever so patiently for the holidays to pull it out. it's really quite spectacular.
but this kind of brings me to something i've been thinking about for this gift giving season. the last couple years, i've made it a goal to buy only hand crafted and second hand gifts for my family and friends. i plan to do that again this year. i also want to advertise that for my shop, especially with the open house coming up. it's something that's very important to me. i know merl has mentioned something similar on her blog recently and was wondering if there are more of us out there who would want to make that pledge. i know i have seen a pledge button on other blogs about buying handmade, but i'd like there to be something that includes vintage/second hand. would anyone be interested in putting a button like that on their blog and also pledge to buy more responsibly this year? i could put my wonderful husband on the job of designing something for us (or if any of you are so inclined that would work too. i am not so creative that way). so let me know if you guys are interested. and really, even if you're not, i might have one on here just for fun. :)
have a great weekend!
11-5
11-5
11-5
11-5
11-5
details:
coat-charlotte russe, given to me
scarf-yarn over movement, christmas gift last year
flannel-thrifted, stolen from matt
jeans-topshop
boots-vintage, ebay

10 comments:

C said...

I think a pledge button would be a great idea! It's something I aspire to every year, and this time I'm committed!

Also, I love this casual outfit. The plaid and cozy scarf are perfect! :)

Carrie said...

I love the idea of a pledge button. For the last several years, I have tried to only give handmade/secondhand gifts for birthdays and holidays. Thanks to Etsy, it's so much easier. And everyone loves a unique gift, right? :)

Oh, and that scarf is terrific!

chicfaced said...

Aw, Amanda! I've been thinking the same thing! I'm totally in to advertise at the shop and on the blog with a button. I know a lot of my friends here in FXBG will follow suit. The only caveat I'm going to add (for myself at least) is buying local. There are a lot of quality, cool, locally owned shops in downtown Fredericksburg that sell new stuff... not that the buy local part needs to be included in the button, but that's just something I'm adding for myself :)

Snappy-Q said...

I think that is a super idea! I am planning on buying second-hand or making most of my gifts this year too.
Also, I hope you post pictures of this incredible sweater so we can all see.

archives vintage said...

i'm interested in that! last year i made homemade vanilla extract to give to people i didn't give "big" gifts to. i plan on doing the same this year, and the rest will be handmade or second hand as well! i want a button!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

I tend to only buy things that are vintage or handmade as it is. I think that it would be great if more people did pledge as you are planning on doing!! I want to listen to Christmas music now. I usually do all year round anyway but now I want to lots.

Kimberellie said...

This look is totally perfect. I love that scarf. The colours are just amazing together and so perfectly "seasonal" yet not Christmas-y with the bricks and all.

As for second hand and handmade. What a good idea! I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to participate though. I know myself too well for that! I'd just cheat. ;-) I did make a vow though for my own Christmas shopping: everything has to be on sale, at least 50% off! Usually I will buy full price for presents...but then I thought, why do I refuse to pay full price for myself but will pay full price for other people? I mean, it's the exact same stuff. Maybe with some of the money I save I can support some Etsy workers though...because I do adore handmade!

Ana said...

I am definitely in on the pledge. Does this one count as the original post? Or is it the one after this?

tara-lynn / good night, day said...

may i please & kindly use these amazing images for girls in my knits, i would link to you of course
tara-lynn

http://stayfancyfree.blogspot.com/search/label/girls%20in%20my%20knits

Lauren said...

I pledge! Yes yes! Maybe do a link listing of bloggers who sell, I sell prints of ny work and screenprints! Yay!

Lauren
Http://sparrowandurchin.blogspot.com