Wednesday, November 17, 2010

don't go trying some new fashion

11-16
song of the day: 'just the way you are' by billy joel
i wasn't going to post these pictures. i liked the outfit, felt very comfortable, the mirror assured me i looked good, then i loaded the photos on to the computer and i got a totally different feeling about it. i don't know if i just didn't capture it correctly or if the angles were wrong or what. but i just don't love it. then this morning, i was reading kendi everyday and she talked about the discrepancy between what you see in the mirror and what your camera reveals. then you start to doubt yourself and think ugly thoughts about how you look. but that she made a commitment to posting every day and to show who she really is, and not just the polished and perfect version of herself. so after reading her post, i looked through my pictures again. i still don't love them and can pick out numerous flaws, but i don't want to be so wrapped up in that. i've been thinking so much lately about inner beauty and getting beyond what is just seen on the outside, and i don't want to just write those words and not believe them. i mean, i could still inspire someone else. plus, all day long i felt great so i need to just not be so self-conscious. hello! i take pictures of myself and post them on the internet! if i wasn't too self-conscious before, there's no reason to start now. so here it is, the not-so-awesome me, but me nonetheless.
11-16
and another big fat thanks to those who've made the pledge! and to a new pledger, lauren of sparrow & urchin (oh my and she's super cute and uber talented, check her out!). i will get around to making a special list over in my side bar with the names of the ladies who are participating. plus, lauren had a great idea about featuring handmade and vintage etsy shops or otherwise to get people headed in the right direction. so with that in mind, if you have a shop, would you mind sending me your link? some of you i already know have an etsy but there may be some of you out there that i'm not super familiar with and i want you to be featured as well.
11-16
11-16
details:
blouse-thrifted, ann taylor
cardigan-thrifted, ann klein
scarf-vintage
jeans-vintage, ebay
shoes-vintage, zodiak

19 comments:

Sara said...

I haven't been by here in awhile :( but I just wanted to say that this outfit rocks and you look awesome! Great pledge, I really want to try it...might still :)

Snappy-Q said...

There have been a lot of blogs on this topic lately and I love the honesty of it all. Sometimes it is hard to see past the awesome pictures and writing on other people's blogs and see that everyone has their own insecurities and doubts. I love that in spite of that we still post pictures that we may not love, but represent us in the place we are in.
That being said, I think you look great as usual! And those fall leaves are stunning!

Louise said...

I for one love it! Those pants are just amazing on you.

My husband has an Etsy shop, but it's wooden kitchens for kids... not very fashion-forward, haha! His seller name is hammerandnails if you wanna take a peek anyway though! :-)

Rosie said...

Those jeans look killer on you lady! I must find a pair like that asap.

Ms. Falcon said...

i really know what you are talking about. the mirrow doesn't show the same as the camera does. I still don't know what is the right issue of me: The one in the camera or in the mirrow...

but your outfit is so lovely. those colours are amazing and it looks so casual chic and comfy....

wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

acute angle said...

I do the same thing with photos of outfits! I think I look great and then looking back think... "wow, I look (insert negative comment here) in this photo!!"

You look GREAT in this photo! Not sure what you didn't like, but I LOVE this outfit on you. You're so teeny-tiny! ALMOST inspires me to start running again ... but then laziness kicks in.

xoxox

miss annie said...

I´m so in love with your bag!
keep on doing your thing!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the mirror/photos discrepancy. I adored my outfit the other day but the photos were terrible...

You, however, look amazing!

▲ WOLF WHISTLE ▲

archives vintage said...

oh girl...if i only posted pics i 100% loved, i wouldnt have a blog! though, some days are worse than others. :)

Zoë said...

AHHHHHHH!!!! I LOVE this!! I absolutely know what you mean about those ugly thoughts and feelings. I have a bunch of days that are skipped, some for that reason alone.

But these are perfection. I have dreams about finding jeans like that. And I love the blouse sticking out under the cardigan and the scarf and the bag OH! It's just. Perfect.

Love,

the eye of the beholder. aka. haiku.

Zoë said...

AHHHHHHH!!!! I LOVE this!! I absolutely know what you mean about those ugly thoughts and feelings. I have a bunch of days that are skipped, some for that reason alone.

But these are perfection. I have dreams about finding jeans like that. And I love the blouse sticking out under the cardigan and the scarf and the bag OH! It's just. Perfect.

Love,

the eye of the beholder. aka. haiku.

Vantage Point Vintage said...

You look gorgeous! I love your look and the background is so pretty!

Cheers,
Jenny @vpv

http://www.shopVPV.com

Lyndsey said...

you look amazing girl!! i've missed you and i need to catch up on reading. i hope all is going well! i don't have to tell you you're gorgeous, because what you said today totally makes you even more gorgeous. you inspired me, i know that much :)

xx
lyndsey of hellolyndseyyy

KristiMcMurry said...

I think you look fantastic in all of these. I definitely relate to what you're saying though. The mirror gives a totally different impression than the screen.

merl said...

Lady... you cray cray. [I heard one of this past season's project runway contestants say that and it STUCK with me] You look fab-u-lOUS in this! Seriously I don't know how you always do it, but it's like you stepped out of a book from the 70's about supermodels. You need to bottle that.

I'm putting the pledge up tomorrow! Stupid me to wait until after you picked the winner.. but better late than neva right?

Kirstin said...

I think everyone is just really critical of themselves, everyone has their own insecurities! I love these photos, your pants really add a flair to your outfit!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

I've realized that even if there is a photo that shows some of my flaws, someone else will probably love the photo, so I have been daring and posting them even if I don't really like it. I'm glad your pledge has been going well and the response has too a bit. hooray!! I always love those pants of yours!!!

Anonymous said...

Girl you look lovely! I am rather too familiar with the feeling though. I connect up the camera and realize I am NEVER EVER wearing that again hehe

As for angles: If you use a tripod make sure your camnera isn't tilted upwards. Your lens will also affect things. Short focal lengths tend to squash proportions a little. That's how they get "before and after application of miracle product" shots to look a little different. A short focal length for the before shot, then a proper portrait lens for the after. Although, of course they muck about with the lighting and post production too.

Enough gibbering. Have a great weekend!

Molli said...

you look fab here! i know what you mean about being a little worried about putting certain pictures up but dont worry i think you nailed it with this outfit/look! no need to be self-conscience...you look great! :)