Tuesday, November 30, 2010

kept her warm and safe and dry

church
song of the day: 'same auld lang syne' by dan fogelberg
the weather took a turn for the freezing. my poor little hands hurt by the time i got back in the car after taking pictures. but it is almost december and i should just expect the temperatures to hover around 30 degrees. still no matter what, it's hard to deal with!
i love this church building. it's just so quaint and charming with it's gothic arches and stained glass. back in college i went to a service here and the inside of the church is just as pretty. it reminds me, though, that we just don't put as much creativity into our buildings anymore. most new churches, stores, and restaurants are in lifeless shells with the emphasis being on 'bigger is better.' it's so sad. especially when there are really neat old buildings that sit empty and decaying, but because it costs a bit more to get an old place up to code, people shy away from it. but it does make me thankful for the people around here, and around the country, that care for the history of a place and want to restore it. and this church is still in use and every sunday folks come through these doors and i bet they are very happy to have such a lovely place to worship.
church
church
church
church
church
church
church
details:
sleeveless sweater-vintage
plaid shirt-vintage
jeans-urban outfitters
shoes-eastland, thrifted
coat-charlotte russe, from my sis-in-law

11 comments:

KristiMcMurry said...

That's a lovely church! I really love the door. And I love your jeans with those shoes!

Morgan and Lua said...

Um hi, excuse me. I want to find an old barn and restore and live in it. If necessary I'll be in the lofted space and all my animals, horses, goats, sheep, etc, will be on the first floor. But it won't smell. It's a magic barn. (yes I'm crazy)

www.morganandlua.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

cute shoes, and the coat is lovely!

xxx Charlie
Feminine Bravery

Playing Hooksies said...

Love the peeking socks. Your outfit feels right at home in this brisk, fall weather.

I agree, buildings now a days are mostly those cookie-cutter modern types. I miss it when it was obvious lots of care went into designing with the details and such.

You're very pretty, by the way (:

http://playinghooksies.blogspot.com/

Rosie said...

girl I just looked over your last few posts and I must say you have been looking amazing! I love the preppiness of all of these looks!

Amanda said...

I love this outfit girl. You have such unique style I love it! And this outfit reminds me how I used to be obsessed with sweaters like this a few years back haha.

xx

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

The Riverbottom Nightmare Band is amazing in Emmet Otter!! "We don't brush our teeth, cause our toothache helps us stay mean" is my favourite line from their song hahaha. yeah we had that movie taped on VHS off of T.V. since probably '85 that we watched all the time. When it came out on DVD we were all over that! Thing is the DVD version was a little bit changed! so weird that they did that! Oh well. Yeah I don't know many people who have seen that movie either. Really only one of my friends and the people who lived across the street from my parents and that's really all! Sad. :(

I have seen Muppet's Christmas Carol. I think I saw it in theatres, but I am unsure. I know I saw it when it was on VHS release and I couldn't find it since then. :( I did like it, but it wouldn't be on my top list because I am just so partial to the '51 version.

Which musical of Scrooge?? Is that the one with Albert Finney from 1970? I have yet to see that one actually :( I'll see if Netflix has it.

Melanie said...

Yes, so many new buildings are cold, dull, and without attention to the details that make us go on architecture tours. When I stop and really look at some of the old buildings around here (Chicago) I'm amazed at all of the intricate detailing that went into making it. I heard something just today on the radio about trends in building new "green" buildings. They said, "The greenest building is the one that is already built." Some people don't want to take the time to modernize while still preserving the character of older buildings because it's faster (and probably cheaper) to just tear it down and put up a new one.

caitlin said...

wow, your coat is awesome.

i love old buildings (my boyfriend is actually going to get his master's degree in historic preservation), and living in new england we certainly have our fair share! i just love how every old building had so much character :)

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

Didn't comment on the outfit and thoughts of this entry before. Woops. bad me. I love the colours in that shirt. the vest looks great with it and I love the stained glass so much!! My church doesn't have any of that beauty. My church was a former bank that they put a steeple on! Thing is it is nice that some churches do have all that glitz and beauty in the church, but at the same time the church can be and should be wherever you go.. .since we make up the church. I often times think about that "upper room" where they went in the beginning of the book of Acts. My In-laws have a gorgeous church with stained glass and the works. . but their church is dying. They put so much work into it in hopes to get people inside, but really it is the way the people in the church act that needs more rebuilding. . .you know what I mean? it just lacks Spirit.

I look too deeply into things sometimes. I'm sorry!!! haha. anyway it is a gorgeous building what you posted here!!!! I also don't think bigger is better at all.

C said...

I love the proportions in this outfit, especially with the blouse and sweater. The color's ain't bad, either! :)