Sunday, June 5, 2011

my favorite food

if you follow me on twitter, you've most likely heard of my intense obsession with hummus. i could eat it all day every single day. give me hummus, wine, and sour candy and i'll be set for LIFE. i've been making my own for a while now. it's cheaper, tastier (in my opinion :) and healthier. so i thought i'd share with you guys just how i make the magic happen.
Picture 4
i buy a bag of dry chickpeas. i used to do the prepared ones in the can, but didn't really care for the extras in there from the processing. plus, i need my chickpeas in bulk. i soak them overnight in my crockpot so they'll be ready to go in the morning. the next day, i drain the water and fill with fresh to cook them. i set the crockpot on high and let go for about 6 hours. then i drain that water and let them cool.
Picture 6
here's where the recipe gets a little confusing. i don't measure anything, it stresses me out. so i really do everything to taste. you'll need:
lime or lemon-squeeze all the juice
salt-probably about 2 tsps (also salt the the chickpeas as they cook)
garlic-i cheat and use the minced (1 tsp) or 1 or 2 cloves
ground cumin-generous amount
ground coriander-generous amount
tahini paste-about a tbsp
olive juice-2 or 3 tsp
water-just enough to make it creamy
food processor
i just dump everything in the food processor and let her go. then give it a taste test. if you like it, then you're done! i cook the whole bag of chickpeas at once but only prepare about half at a time. i go through a bag in a week, easy. this might last you guys a lot longer. but seriously, i am not a good cook and i get so many compliments on this dish. it is my very favorite food.
Picture 5
i have recently been diagnosed with celiac (gluten intolerance) so i can no longer eat pita bread or really anything at all with wheat. so i buy rice crackers (sooooooo gooooood) to pair with my hummus or spoon it on my salad or eat with carrots and other veggies as a snack. i will also take some of the cooked chickpeas and put it on my rice pasta. those little things are pretty fantastic :) if you try it, let me know!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I love hummus! I have some family friends who are Lebanese so I go over to their place to cook up yummy middle eastern food from time to time. It's the best!

A plus,
Aryn
Driftwood and Daydreams

Anonymous said...

here's a funny little story:
after i graduated high school i took a trip to israel and got completely sick of hummus because they eat it like it's going out of style...so i vowed to never eat hummus again. and i hadn't..until about a month ago after reading your tweets about hummus i actually started to crave it! and now i can't get enough of it!!! i just get the store bought kind, but now i might branch out and make my own :) so, thanks for helping me fall in love with hummus again!
and..one of my really close friends was diagnosed with celiac last year. she knew she was gluten intolerant for years but just officially got the diagnosis. she has a lot of resources and recipes she has perfected, so if you need any suggestions i will be more than happy to ask her for some advice! :)
xoxo

Julie said...

I love hummus! I'm a total carrot junky, so hummus and carrots are one of my favorite snacks!

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed that you make it from scratch. And in such amounts. Both my husband and I are big fans of hummus and tend to eat it with all sorts of raw vegetables. Have you ever tried making it with any other bean?

Anna said...

YUMM i am going to try this soon, i love hummus and never knew how to make it.. thanks for the recipe :)

Kari Beth said...

I love hummus! One of my favorites! We had a can of chickpeas in our pantry...lord knows how long it's been there...so I whipped up some hummus last week. I could never get mine creamy. Never thought to add water! I'll have to do that next time. It was so good. Even if it was a little dry!

Anonymous said...

i feel lucky to have tasted yours in person!!!!! SO DELISH!!!!!! :D

Catherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catherine said...

Hmm I'm definitely going to try this! I love hummus :)
x catherine-oneway.blogspot.com

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

I tried hummus once. It didn't seem to have any flavor for me though.